January 16, 2012

Compassion in the New Year

Many of you may have made a New Year's Resolution or set some goals for the new year.  Here we are, Day number 16 and you may be thinking ... I can't do this, I am a failure, it has only been 2 weeks and I can't even stay committed thus far ... but I have news for you!  You can do it!

I have learned over the past few years that life happens ... it is hard to say "no," to a chocolate chip cookie, my workout plan doesn't always mean strapping Hanna into a stroller and going on a 2 mile run, spending 30 minutes every day journaling or reading can sometimes just be praying during my shower because the day has already flown by.  All that to say, I am not perfect, I have set many goals for the year with the understanding that if I slip up I can choose to make tomorrow a new day.  To pick myself up, dust myself off and keep running.

This weekend I heard a comparison I thought might be helpful to get my point across.  In a race, if a runner stumbles and falls do the judges order that they go back to the starting line and begin the race again?  No!  Rather the runner is encouraged to get up and continue to run from where they fell.  The same applies to you and I.  I have a goal this year to make healthy choices for myself and my family, yet this weekend I indulged in one of my favorites, Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (recipe will be provided on an upcoming Thursday I am sure).  Does that mean I say, that's it, I give up, it is no use, I can't do this!  On the contrary, I realize that a little is not going to set me back from my goals.  I can still make healthy choices!  I learn to forgive myself and move on.  I have some more personal goals as I am sure some of you might as well.  You might say it is not the same!  But what I can tell you is that in Lamentations 3: 21-23 we are reminded,

"Yet this I call to mind
   and therefore I have hope:

Because of the L-rd’s great love we are not consumed, 
   for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
   great is your faithfulness."



So have hope and know that you can begin again!  



2 comments:

  1. looking forward to that recipe and great analogy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know you are!!! It will come soon, but I have a healthy one to highlight this week!

    ReplyDelete